Kids often appear to have perfectly delicate skin. They can still use skin care though. The benefits will be keeping their skin beautiful, and teaching them good habits. Face masks are a great way for kids to take care of their skin. There is of course a big difference between a child's skin and an adult's skin. Kids' skin is just like it looks, delicate. Staying away from harsh chemicals is essential for anything they will be using, especially on the face.
Since a child's skin naturally produces oil, parents want to make sure that skin care products don't dry out their skin. Things like bleaching chemicals or acid-based chemicals (lemon/vinegar) are not recommended. That and no harsh scrubbing. For kids, this should all be a gentle process.
Kids are exposed to all sorts of skin irritants on a daily basis. Things like pollution, possibly cigarette smoke, or even dust. A good homemade facial mask can cleanse and protect their skin, keeping it healthy, soft, and supple. Using things right from the kitchen that are natural with skin benefits helps to ensure no harsh abrasives will be used.
Some examples of things that can go into a child's facial mask are:
- Yogurt: According to Organic Authority, yogurt contains lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, that dissolves dead skin cells. This gentle exfoliant creates a natural glow and is great for softening skin.
- Honey: Healthline reports, raw honey is a great moisturizer and also a natural exfoliator, which means applying it to the face takes off dry, dull skin and reveals new skin cells underneath.
- Papaya: According to NetMeds, papaya [papain] is one of the best things you can add to a facial mask. It has wonderful moisturizing properties, exfoliating benefits, and healing properties.
- Avocado: Cold-pressed avocado oil has an abundance of antioxidants, plant sterols, omega-9, minerals, and vitamins, including vitamins C and E. Together, these nutrients can help boost the production of collagen, soothe inflammation, and lift away old skin cells says, Maya Ivanjesku, chief scientific officer at LaFlore Probiotic Skincare.
- Cucumber: Cucumber possesses efficient cooling, healing, and soothing effects and is often used as a natural eye pad during facial treatments.
Honey Facial Mask
Honey is not only good for a child's skin, but it also has wonderful benefits for mom's skin too. This is definitely a great pick for a kids' spa night. In ancient civilizations, honey was used as an effective skin treatment. It has antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties in it. Not to mention, it has antimicrobial benefits that help with aging.
How to Make a Honey Facial Mask for Children
According to The Koala Mom:
- Mash half of a ripe banana to make a smooth paste.
- Slightly warm one tablespoon of honey and mix it with the mashed banana paste until fully blended.
- The child can lightly dampen their face, and then apply the face mask.
- Rinse with warm water after no more than 30 minutes, no less than 15.
This face mask for kids will provide significant skin hydrating, toning, and tightening effects.
Cucumber Facial Mask
This particular recipe requires a blender, so it is a little more complex. You will need 1/2 a cucumber, 1 tbsp plain yogurt, and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Blend the cucumber using the pulse option on the blender.
- Mix together the pulsed cucumber, honey, and yogurt.
- Apply to freshly cleaned face for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.